Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chill... people!!!

So, while I was watching my little niece and nephew, I started to make some Lemon Bars for the Young Women Bake sale (am I a true Mormon mom or what...today was my first time participating in a Bake sale!). Anyway...I didn't get very far when I realized I was out of butter. WHAT??? Not even any in the freezer??? none! (unless I wanted to use the butter-spread in the fridge that is coated with toast crumbs-thanks sweetie). So...neighbors aren't home, and I have four kids with me all under the age of five. "I can do this, I tell myself. Piece of cake! Four kids isn't impossible!" (CRAZY??? or true Mormon?) I decide that Albertson's will be my store of choice because it is close, never has lines, and they have carts that will hold more than one child. So I loaded four kids in the van and buckled all their seat belts. Drove to the store. Found a cart that would actually hold all four kids (with Kelly in her infant carrier in the back). MAN I love Utah! What other state would make it possible to hold FOUR kids in a shopping cart??? I carted my mini-bus into the store and that is when it happened! The STARING began. I could actually see the contempt on people's faces as they stared at me! The kids were all angels (I only had to get butter after all), but people were STILL staring. No one smiled at me. No one talked to me. Not even the checker that oversees "the self check-out" said a word. She was too busy raising her eyebrows. I am sure they were thinking "Why doesn't she invest in Birth Control?"
Next time I am going to wear a sign that says "NO THESE ARE NOT ALL OF MY CHILDREN AND EVEN IF THEY WERE SHAME ON YOU FOR JUDGING AND MAKING THIS TASK EVEN HARDER. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO A KIND SMILE OR UNDERSTANDING GLANCE? WHEN DID WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT GET REPLACED WITH DISAPPROVING GLARES? CHILL PEOPLE...JUST CHILL!" So to all you young moms-especially if there are any with four children under the age of five-bless your hearts for all you do! Our lives do not stop when we have children, we simply weave the kids into all the crazy tasks we do each day, and EVEN WITH FOUR KIDS--WE STILL NEED BUTTER!!

1 comment:

Eric and Kathleen said...

Hey Jen!!!
Your blog is so dang cute. And I saw your etsy shop. Holy crap. Are you kidding me? It is ADORABLE!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE both with the acorns, and the loopy one. You are amazing! I love you. Thx for the chat tonight.